Vanessa Chakour is an herbalist, author (Awakening Artemis) and educator who trains others in her field of helping people to connect to their environments. Her work is rooted in the natural world and what she calls our own inner-wild, or our intuitive connection to ourselves.
This week I spoke with herbalist and author Vanessa Chakour. At 17, a life-threatening accident led Vanessa to heal her eating disorder and work through sexual assault trauma, which in turn led to her becoming a professional boxer, eventually bringing her to New York City where she began studying herbalism. Now, she’s an author and educator who trains others in her field of helping people to connect to their environments. Her work is rooted in the natural world and what she calls our own inner-wild, or our intuitive connection to ourselves.
In this episode we cover the connection between eating disorder recovery and our bodies connecting to nature as well as how consent and anger relate to weeds like dandelion. We get into making herbal infusions and the creative process; writing for emotional wellness; navigating highs such as new relationships and career successes (Vanessa's in one of those highs now); and how to manage the nervous system during both highs and lows. We also discuss her new book, Awakening Artemis.
- Find Vanessa on the Web | Instagram
- Subscribe to Vanessa's newsletter
- Check out Vanessa's book, Awakening Artemis
- Take the "We Don't Talk Anymore" survey on friend breakups
- Want to do a @letitouttt instagram takeover? Fill out this survey
- There is one spot open in my creative clinic -- if you'd like to book a free session, book here!
- Subscribe to our newsletter to get show notes + essays, etc. sent to your inbox
- Follow @letitouttt on Instagram. I'm @katiedalebout
If you liked this episode, try out:
Episode 369: Space Between the Space: Erin Lovell Verinder & Noah Checkle on Leaving Places Better Than You Found Them, The Plant Clinic Book, Change, Friendship, Beauty & More
- Credit Karma: apply for low-interest, personal loans today at creditkarma.com/loanoffers
- ThirdLove: Get 20% off your first order of comfortable, quality undergarments at thirdlove.com/LETITOUT!
- AthleticGreens: complete daily nutrition in one tasty scoop! Get a year's supply of immune-supporting Vitamin D and five free travel pouches with your first order of AthleticGreens when you visit athleticgreens.com/letitout!