My friend Briana Bane came up with the best concept - a show called The Art That's Made You. I was honored when she asked me to be her first guest. In today’s episode you’ll hear about the art that has helped shape me.
We're easing back in this season with a discussion about art that is meaningful to us. My friend Briana Bane had to make a podcast for one of her media classes at NYU last semester and she came up with the best concept - a show called The Art That's Made You. I was honored when she asked me to be her first guest. In today’s episode you’ll hear about the art that has helped shape me.
Notes from the Show:
-Rent Broadway Show
-Arthur TV Show on PBS
-Friends TV Show
-The OC TV Show and my first crush Seth Cohen
-Stargirl book by Jerry Spinelli
-Episode with my grandpa, Gus Ganakas, and this article about him
-Hilma Klint exhibit at the Guggenheim in NYC until April 23
-CNN series on The Nineties
-Pop Rocket podcast on pop culture
-Sex and the City TV Show
-Girls TV Show with Lena Dunham
-Happy Thank You More Please movie
-The Onion article I mentioned
-Skate Kitchen movie
-Mr Rogers Documentary
-Ruth Bader Ginsberg documentary
-my Discover Weekly on Spotify
-Forever with Maya Ruldoph
-favorite movies: Serendipity, the Before/After Sunset movies
-favorite TV shows: I Love Dick, Freaks & Geeks, Felicity, Dawson's Creek, Steven Universe
-favorite podcast: Fresh Air with Terry Gross
All original music composed by Carolyn Pennypacker Riggs
Album art by Zoie Harman
Cool Things to Check-Out:
- I'm doing a giveaway of one of my favorite books Text Me When You Get Home by previous podcast guest Kayleen Schaefer. You can listen to Kayleen's episode here if you want a refresher on what the book is about. Text Me When You Get Home is hitting stands as a paperback on February 5th. This gorgeous new version has a new afterward addressing the Me Too movement of 2018 and a book club guide. Click here to enter the giveaway!
- My journaling class with Bluprint goes live January 23rd and I can't wait to share it with you guys!
- My events next week at The Assemblage Jan 21st and The Good Fest Jan 23rd
- Sign-up for my newsletter to get updates on where I'll be and what I'm loving!
- Join the listener Facebook Group
- Get my book Let It Out: A Journey Through Journaling.
If you Liked This Episode Try Out:-Danny Kornfield Rent episode-Josh Radnor episode -Interview with Sacha Jones -My birthday episode from last year-Interview with Kelsey Miller on Friends-Marlee Grace - coming soon!
This episode was also supported by Care/Of who creates personalized supplement packets for you based on your unique needs and delivers them in daily customized packets.
Enter the code "KATIE" at checkout for 25% off your first
This episode is sponsored by CURED Nutrition, a holistic supplement company based in Boulder, Colorado. Their full-spectrum nibbles, tinctures, and treats work with your body’s natural system to produce clear benefits without the worry of a psychoactive component.
Enter LETITOUT for 15% off any order.
"TV and media can be a big expander or role model that helps you see to believe. Coming from a small town in Michigan I didn’t know it was possible to move to New York but I did have the show Friends and watching really informed my decision to move here."
"It’s so amazing that you can put on a song and it takes you back to a moment in time. And then that moment can become a different moment. Now I think about being in high school when I listen to certain 90s songs, but you can change the meaning of how a song makes you feel. And I find myself not wanting to play certain songs too much so I don’t change the meaning of them for myself."